Hospet, officially renamed as Hospete, is also known as Nagalapura. It is a heritage city in the Indian state of Karnataka. The city has flourished on the banks of the Thungabadra. Hospet was built by Krishnadevaraya of the Vijayanagar Dynasty in 1520 AD in the memory of his mother, Nagalambika. The people here are employed majorly in the cultivation of Ragi and other crops as agriculture is the main source of economy of this city. The administrative infrastructure of the city is done through its division into 23 wards that are serviced by elected representatives. Hospete has many educational institutions like Hampi University besides several other schools and colleges. Hospete is the gateway to Hampi, the famous UNESCO World Heritage site. Hospete is well-known as a tourist destination for its innumerable temples, forts and picturesque views which attract visitors from India and abroad. The Hampi Stone Chariot, Nandanavana Park, Virupaksha Temple, Shri Ramulu Park, Chakra Vana, Queens Bath, the Tungabhadra dam, etc. are places worth visiting in Hospet.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.