Hindupur is located in the Anantapur district of Andhra Pradesh. It functions as the headquarters of the Hindupur revenue division and mandal. This town houses more than 1.5 lakh residents who primarily speak in Telugu. Hindupur is a commercially and industrially populous town. Hindupur is an important pilgrim; Sri Ranganath Swamy Temple and near Lepakshi temple attracts thousands of pilgrims every year. The municipal town of Hindupur is divided into 38 election wards and 30 revenue wards to ensure effective governance. Hindupur lies on the banks of River Penna. However, the agricultural scenario in the area is largely dependant upon rains and often suffers from the shortage of drinking water and crop failures due to the lack of adequate rain. agricultural requirements. Hindupur is a leading commercial center in the Rayalaseema Region. Cloth business is the most important business in Hindupur along with various products such as jaggery, tamarind, groundnuts, chilies and pulses. Mulberry cocoons are also procured in this town which results in the production of silk threads and silk sarees. Silk trade is gaining momentum at Hindupur as one of the important commercial activities and it might soon develop for the foreign export of silk fabrics. The area also has a few cottage industries like starch factories, beedi making, oil mills, match factories and agarbathi units.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.