The city of Hapur is located in the district of the same name in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh. It was earlier known as Haripur. The city falls under the National Capital Region and functions as the headquarters of the Hapur district. The city had been under the dominance of the French and the British. It has always been known for its several fine groves that surround the city. The economy of Hapur depends upon the cultivation and trade of sugar, grain, bamboo, cotton and timber. Brass utensils are also manufactured in Hapur and exported. The city is being rapidly developed. The Hapur-Pilkhuwa Development Region is being set up with many colleges, schools and a research institute. Housing complexes are also being constructed with large amounts of investment from famous developers such as Ansal Housing Group, Eros Group, etc. The city has an approximate population of 2.5 lakh residents. Steady and rapid urbanization will make Hapur a much-coveted place to settle in.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.