Guna is a small city in the Indian state of Madhya Pradesh. It functions as the administrative headquarter of the eponymous district. The city lies on the north-eastern regions of Malwa Plateau and is defined by the Parbati river in the west. Guna is an acronym for Gwalior United Nation Army. It was founded by Chand Pradyota Mahesena and was a part of the ancient Avanti Kingdom. It was later added to the growing empire of Magadha. It passed on to the Marathas and to the Kingdom of Gwalior till it was made a part of Madhya Pradesh in 1956. Although Guna is very small and nondescript town, it still functions as an important industrial center with major industries such as National Fertilizers Limited, Gas Authority of India Limited, Deepak Spinners Limited, KS Oil Ltd, Spice park at Mavan, etc. The first private state university of the state is at Guna. The Jaypee University of Engineering & Technology has a sprawling campus in Guna which offers facilities like hostel, mess, laundry, shopping center, medical center, etc. to the 1500+ students. A few places worth visiting in and around Guna are Shri Shanti Nath Digambar Jain temple at Bajrangarh, Bees Bhuja Devi, Kedarnath, Hanuman Tekri, Christ The King Church and Panchmukhi Hanuman Ashram.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.