The city of Etawah is located in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh. Located on the banks of the Yamuna, this city functions as the administrative headquarters of the Etawah District. Etawah was an important center for the Revolt of 1857. The city witnesses the confluence of the Yamuna and the Chambal. The relics of the Great Hedge of India can be found in this city. History claims that this region existed even in the Bronze Age. The Hindu epic Mahabharata records this place as Ekchakranagari. This is where the Pandavas had learned about Draupadis swayamvara from the Brahmins. The Guptas, the Kanvas, Kanishka and the Naga kings have ruled over this area. During the Great Revolt of 1857, Etawah was occupied by the freedom fighters for six months from June to December, which disrupted the British rule for quite a long time. The economy of this area is supported by the cultivation of cotton, oilseeds, ghee and other agricultural produce that are locally consumed as well as exported. Special breeds of goats and buffaloes called Jamunapaari and Bhadawari respectively are raised in the area and exported. Etawah has a natural gas-based power generation plant. However, it doesnt have any manufacturing industry. Etawah is also known for its handloom products.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.