English Bazar is a city in the Malda district of the Indian state of West Bengal. It is popularly known as Malda town and has been nicknamed as the "Mango City." Malda serves as the headquarter of the eponymous district. Old Malda municipality and the, as well as the English Bazar municipality, are under the Malda municipal corporation. This is a rapidly growing city with a population of over 2 lakh people. Malda lies on the western bank of the Mahananda river. It experiences an extremely humid weather. Various colleges and universities are found in and around English Bazar. The University of Gour Banga is the largest educational institution in the area along with several other colleges like Malda College, Malda Polytechnic, Malda Medical College and Hospital, IMPS College of Engineering and Technology, etc. The city has a great connectivity to the state capital as well as to the Northeast via railway and roads. The city is known for its cultivation of mangoes and production of Mango Jelly.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.