The city of Chittoor is also the district headquarter of the Chittoor district in the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh and thus there are many district-level government institutions in this city. Chittoor also functions as the headquarters of the Chittoor Mandal and the Chittoor revenue division. The city has a population of more than 3.5 lakh residents who majorly speak in Telugu. However, the city also houses many Tamil, Kannada and Marathi speaking people. Chittoor is located in the southernmost part of Andhra Pradesh, on the banks of River Neeva. The economy of Chittoor is predominantly run by its agro-market. The city witnesses the production and trade of mango, grain, sugarcane and peanut. Tomato farming in Chittoor contributes to over 20% of the States production of tomatoes. The other industries in the region include oilseed, poultry and milk. It is the second largest milk producing district in the state and has an expansive dairy industry. Chittoor is also known for its textile industry. Silk is weaved in 13,000 power looms, providing employment to more than 40,000 workers. The granite industry is also known for its production of black, pink and grey granites. The historical Chandragiri Fort from the 11th century is the most notable landmark near Chittoor. Ardhagiri Anjaneyaswamy temple and Swayambu Varasidhi Vinayakaswamy temple are other notable landmarks in and around Chittoor.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.