Chhapra or Chapra is located in the Saran district of the Indian state of Bihar. This city is located near the confluence of the Ghaghara and the Ganges River. Dr. Rajendra Prasad, a freedom fighter and the first president of India was from Chhapra. Chhapra gained attention and prominence as a river-based market during the 18th century when the French, Dutch, Portuguese and English established saltpeter refineries in the region. It became a municipality in 1864. The city has good rail and road connections with the rest of the country and it is very close to the neighboring state of Uttar Pradesh. Ambika Bhavani in Chhapra is a well-known shakti peeth temple.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.