The Indian city of Burhanpur is a historical city located in the Nimar region of Madhya Pradesh. It functions as the administrative hub of Burhanpur District. It is situated on the bank of River Tapti. Historical excavations have revealed that the Rashtrakuta Dynasty had ruled over the area during 753?982 AD. In 1388, the Faruqi dynasty Sultan Malik Nasir Khan discovered Burhanpur, made it the capital of the Khandesh sultanate and named it after a medieval Sufi saint called Burhan-ud-Din. During the reign of the Faruqi dynasty, the city got transformed into a major center for textile production and trade. The place was later annexed into the Mughal Empire in 1601 by Emperor Akbar. Burhanpur is known for its textile industry as it is the largest center for the power loom industry in Madhya Pradesh. Over 300 companies that deal in interlining cloth and other types of fabric are based in this city. Balaji has its units for manufacturing pipes and agricultural equipment in Burhanpur. Additionally, there are many cotton and oil mills in the city. Burhanpur is also the largest producer of banana in Madhya Pradesh. Burhanpur is well-known for its thriving tourism industry. Apart from the scenic views, the city offers several beautiful spots for tourism such as Asirgarh Fort, Shahi Qila, Dargah-e-Hakimi, Swami Narayan Temple, etc.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.