Bokaro, or Bokaro Steel City, is a highly planned city located in the Indian state of Jharkhand. It functions as the administrative headquarters of the Bokaro district. It is one of the largest and most populous cities in Jharkhand. Bokaro was one of the earliest planned cities in the eastern part of India. The whole city is meticulously planned and organized into sectors with avenues, residential and commercial areas. Each sector is equipped with shopping complexes, schools, playgrounds, health centers and recreational facilities. The city has developed around the eponymous Bokaro Steel Plant which is an integrated public sector steel plant that was built with the help from the Soviet Government. It has now been merged with Indian Governments Steel Authority of India Limited or SAIL. The residents of this city are mostly employed in the Bokaro Steel Plant.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.