Bidhannagar, in the Indian state of West Bengal, is popularly known as Salt Lake City. It is a planned satellite town that was developed between 1958 and 1965 in order to accommodate the growing population of Kolkata. It is a small-sized neighbor of Kolkata and is connected to the metro city via Eastern Metropolitan Bypass. The city is well planned and organized into numerous blocks. The city is also well divided into academic, commercial and residential zones. Sector 5 of Bidhannagar houses the IT sector of Kolkata where leading MNCs have set up their offices. There are several prestigious academic institutions in the area such as All India Institute of Hygiene and Public Health, Government College of Engineering and Leather Technology, Aliah University, Bidhannagar College, National Institute of Fashion Technology, Institute of Engineering and Management, West Bengal University of Technology, etc. Apart from the thriving IT industry, Bidhannagar houses several government offices, especially of the West Bengal State Education Board. The residents of the area are either employed in the IT and government sectors within the city or travel to the adjoining metro city of Kolkata for work. West Bengals only International football stadium, the Yuva Bharati Krirangan is located in this area.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.