The city of Bidar is also known as The Crown of Karnataka. Located atop a small hill in the north-eastern regions of Karnataka, this city borders Maharashtra and Telangana state. It is a rapidly urbanizing city, well known for its architectural, historical and religious importance. The 500 years old Bidar fort still stands strongly, picturesquely perched on the Deccan plateau. There are more than 30 tombs spread across Bidar city, which has earned it the nickname of the "City of Whispering Monuments." Several heritage sites in and around this city have become a dominant attraction for film shooting recently. Bidar hosts the second biggest Indian Air Force training center in India. The IAF Station at Bidar gives advanced jet training to prospective fighter pilots. Bidar is known for its cottage industries like cotton and oil-ginning mills, that work on local raw materials and employ local skills. Bidri ware, a well-known form of local handicraft, was once highly popular in this region but is gradually declining. The city is famous for its large industrial area, known as the Kolhar industrial area, which houses several successful pharma companies such as Sai Life Sciences, vivimed, corvine pharma, shreegen pharma, shreevan chemicals, santho carrels pharma, etc. Bidar is known for its highly successful tourism industry that single-handedly fuels a majority of the citys economy.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.