Bhiwani, a city and a municipal council, is located in the Bhiwani district of the Indian state of Haryana. It is a seat of spiritual learning and the center of regional politics. Bhiwani was known as the Gate of Rajputana before the independence. The city had 12 mighty gates in the 14th century, constructed by Thakur Neem Singh. Bhiwani is known for its conventional school of boxing. Many members of the Indian Boxing Squad are from Bhiwani. Some believe that Bhiwani got its name from Goddess Gauri Bhawani, yet another belief prevails that the name is derived from a Rajput Queen by the name of Bhani. The town has been a prominent center of commerce since the Mughal era. The town is also known for its numerous temples which earns it the name of "The Kashi of Haryana." Bhiwani is known for its textile industry and it houses the Grasim Textile Mills. The Technological Institute of Textile & Sciences at Bhiwani is Indias top textile research institute that was established by the Birla Group. There are also a few other colleges offering courses in technology, nursing and general disciplines.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.