Bettiah is a city in the West Champaran district of Bihar. The administrative headquarter of the district, Bettiah is situated in the Tirhut Division of the state. The city is quite close to the Indo-Nepal border. Agar Sen of the Jaitharia clan acquired a large territory in Champaran during the reign of Emperor Jehangir. Emperor Shah Jahan made him the Raja of the area. His son Raja Guj Singh built the palace of the family at Bettiah. The palace suffered utter negligence at the hands of the authority and at present, it has become the local marketplace of Bettiah. The area passed over to the East India Company in 1765. The area is known for its music called the Bettiah Gharana which is one of the oldest styles of vocal music.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.