Bathinda is one of the oldest cities as well as a Municipal Corporation in the Indian state of Punjab. It functions as the administrative headquarters of the Bathinda District. It is situated in the Malwa Region. Bathinda is nicknamed as the City of Lakes, owing to the numerous artificial lakes in the city. The city is also known as Tabar-e-Hind or Tabarhindh which means the Gateway to India. Razia Sultana, the first Empress of India, was imprisoned in the Qila Mubarak fort in this city. Bhatinda is one of the leading cities in education. It has many prestigious academic institutions such as the Central University of Punjab and the upcoming AIIMS. Two modern thermal power plants are housed in Bhatinda - Guru Nanak Dev Thermal Plant and Guru Hargobind Thermal Plant. The city has a fertilizer plant, an oil refinery and two cement plants by Ambuja Cements & UltraTech Cement. Bathinda is also one of the largest cotton and food grain markets in northern India. Grape is widely cultivated in and around the city and is used for local consumption as well as trade. There are various places worth visiting in Bhatinda. The Bhatinda zoo, the historic Qila Mubarak fort, the gurudwara and mazaar of Haji Rattan are popular tourist centers in the city.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.