Baranagar is an emerging city in the Indian state of West Bengal. It is a municipality in the Barrackpore subdivision of the North 24 Parganas district and territorially belongs to the Kolkata Urban Agglomeration. The area was occupied by the in the seventeenth century. An old mansion of the Dutch merchants still remains in the Kutighat area. There was a hog factory in the area where around 3,000 hogs were slaughtered and salted for export every year. Hogs are called "Baraha" in Bengali and hence the area came to be known as "Baraha Nagar" or the "town of hogs." The name got modified to Baranagar later. Baranagar was a renowned center for the extensive jute trade and manufacturing gunny bags during the British era. Baranagar hosts the Indian Statistical Institute or ISI, which is an institution of national importance. It is devoted to research, teaching and application of statistics, social sciences and natural sciences. The city is a major industrial center for the manufacture of agricultural and industrial machinery. Furthermore, the city also has several units for the manufacture of chemicals, castor oil and matches. It also has numerous cotton-processing companies. Temples such as Kaancher Mandir, Joy Mitra Kali Bari and Pathbari draw a lot of local tourists to Baranagar.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.