Bagaha is a small city located in the Pashchim Champaran district of Bihar. It is a city and a municipality and functions as a subdivision of the Pashchim Champaran district. Bagaha is situated around 64 kilometers north-west of Bettiah and around 294 kilometers away from the state capital Patna. The Gandak River flows through this city, gifting it with fertile soil suitable for cultivation. Bagaha also houses the Valmiki Tiger Reserve. Bagaha has more than 1 lakh residents who mostly speak in Hindi, Bhojpuri and Urdu. The economy of the region is chiefly agrarian and the resident farmers are engaged in the cultivation of paddy, sugarcane and cane reeds.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.