The city of Ambarnath, in the Indian state of Maharashtra, is also a part of the Mumbai Metropolitan Region. It falls within the territorial boundaries of the Thane district. The city is often spelled as Ambernath. The name Ambarnath translates to the Lord of the Sky and refers to Lord Shiva. The city is the site of an old temple dedicated to Lord Shiva, from 1060 AD. Like all suburbs of Mumbai, the railway track divides the city of Ambarnath into Ambarnath East and Ambarnath West. Ambarnath west has developed as an industrial zone and it has numerous small and large chemical factories. The government of India has set up an Ordnance Factory in the region, which is slowly developing a residential neighborhood in the area. There is a large safety matchstick manufacturing facility of WIMCO is located in this region along with more than 150 large-scale industries such as textile, aerospace, chemicals, edible goods and electrical hardware. Ambarnath East is mostly a residential area. The famous Shiva temple is located in Ambarnath East along with several residential and sporting complexes.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.