Ambala is a city as well as a municipal corporation located in the district of the same name within the Indian state of Haryana. The city forms the border of Haryana and Punjab and lies close to the state capital Chandigarh. Ambala consists of two sub-areas - the Ambala Cantonment area and the Ambala City are, that are less than a kilometer apart. The twin city has a large base of Indian Army and Indian Air Force within its cantonment area. This city separates the Ganges network from the Indus network and the rivers Ghaggar and Tangri surround it. Ambala plays a pivotal role in local tourism, connecting tourists to Chandigarh, Shimla, New Delhi and Amritsar. Gurudwara Manji Sahib, situated within the city, is a place worth visiting in Ambala. The economy of the city is fuelled by its "Cloth Market" which draws shoppers from surrounding areas. It has a dense cluster of at least 1000 wholesale shops that sell a wide range of cloth items like hand-loom textiles, silk, various kinds of sarees, suitings, shirtings as well as dress material of all types. This market is considered to be the largest cloth trading market in Asia. Most of the residents of Ambala are employed in this business.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.