Karaikudi is situated in the Sivaganga district of Tamil Nadu. It is a greater municipality and the states 20th largest urban agglomeration. It is part of the Chettinad area and has been declared a heritage town by the State Government of Tamil Nadu. Karaikudi is known for its palatial houses that are built with limestone called Karai Veedu. Karaikudi has derived its name from the thorny plant called Karai. It has been referred to in the ancient literature as Kareekudi. The name gradually got modified and modernized into Karaikudi. It was established in the 19th century. The oldest known structure in the area is the Koppudaiya Nayagi Amman Temple. The town of Karaikudi is home to the Nagarathars and the Chettiars who form the business community, the financiers and the trade facilitators. Karaikudi is a rapidly developing urban center. UNESCO has proposed to set up a Chettinad Heritage Museum in the area, recognizing the unique architectural style of the region. Karaikudi is known for its palm leaf baskets woven by the women, known as Chettinad Kottan. Chettinadu Kandangi sarees of Karaikudi are widely popular in the region. The handicraft industry in Karaikudi is indeed a thriving business. Karaikudi is also known for its delectable cuisine. There are many prominent temples in the area that attract tourists. Kundrakudi Shanmuganathan Temple, Ariyakudi Thiruvengamudayan Temple, Pillayarpatti Karpagavinayagar temple, Thirumayam Permual Temple, Kannadasan Mandapam, Kamban Manimandapam, Chettinad Raja Palace and Thousand windows house are the visitor attractions in Karaikudi
On 12th March 1906, the Corporation Bank established as Canara Banking Corporation Limited, in the temple town of Udupi, by a group of visionaries. The initial growth was consciously cautious and need-based. In 1923, the first Bank branch was opened at Kundapur, and in 1926 the second branch was opened in Mangalore. In 1934, the Bank stepped into Coorg State by opening its seventh branch. The Bank got listed in the second schedule of RBI Act, 1934 in the year 1937. The name of the Bank had changed from Canara Banking Corporation Ltd to Canara Banking Corporation Ltd In 1939. In 1972, the bank changed its name again, from ?Canara Banking Corporation Ltd.? to ?Corporation Bank Limited.? And finally, the bank became ?Corporation Bank? after its nationalization on 15th April 1980. The total revenue of the Bank was Rs.3.29 lakh crore, as on 30th September 2017. Currently, the Bank has 3169 ATMs, 4724 Branchless Banking Units, and 2501 fully automated CBS branches, across India. The Bank has its representative Offices at Dubai and Hong Kong. The Branchless banking units have been expanded to more than 4700 villages by the Corporation Bank alongside issued smart cards to all account holders in these villages to enable them to use the Business Correspondents model operated by the Bank.