Karaikudi is situated in the Sivaganga district of Tamil Nadu. It is a greater municipality and the states 20th largest urban agglomeration. It is part of the Chettinad area and has been declared a heritage town by the State Government of Tamil Nadu. Karaikudi is known for its palatial houses that are built with limestone called Karai Veedu. Karaikudi has derived its name from the thorny plant called Karai. It has been referred to in the ancient literature as Kareekudi. The name gradually got modified and modernized into Karaikudi. It was established in the 19th century. The oldest known structure in the area is the Koppudaiya Nayagi Amman Temple. The town of Karaikudi is home to the Nagarathars and the Chettiars who form the business community, the financiers and the trade facilitators. Karaikudi is a rapidly developing urban center. UNESCO has proposed to set up a Chettinad Heritage Museum in the area, recognizing the unique architectural style of the region. Karaikudi is known for its palm leaf baskets woven by the women, known as Chettinad Kottan. Chettinadu Kandangi sarees of Karaikudi are widely popular in the region. The handicraft industry in Karaikudi is indeed a thriving business. Karaikudi is also known for its delectable cuisine. There are many prominent temples in the area that attract tourists. Kundrakudi Shanmuganathan Temple, Ariyakudi Thiruvengamudayan Temple, Pillayarpatti Karpagavinayagar temple, Thirumayam Permual Temple, Kannadasan Mandapam, Kamban Manimandapam, Chettinad Raja Palace and Thousand windows house are the visitor attractions in Karaikudi
the Bank of Maharashtra was founded on 16 September 1935, at Pune and commenced its operations on 8 February 1936. In 1938, the second branch of the bank was opened at Fort, Bombay(currently Mumbai). The bank expanded rapidly after nationalization in 1969. In 1998, the bank had achieved autonomous status after moving into A category from C due to which it has limited interference of Government authority in its decision-making process and internal affairs. In 2004, it was listed in Bombay Stock Exchange and National Stock Exchange of India. In 1978, the new head office building was inaugurated by the late Prime Minister of India, Mr. Morarji Desai. In 1991, the Mahabank Farmer Credit card was introduced after the bank entered into domestic card business. In 2011, the first SHG branch was opened in Pune. In 2013, the Rupay Card was launched by Ms.Sonia Gandhi in New Delhi. In 2014, the number of BoM ATMs increased to 1827 by the addition of 1129 ATMs.In 2015, it reached the network of 1889 branches across India and launched Mahamobile as the mobile banking app. In 2016, the bank was awarded the Best Financial Inclusion Initiative by the IBA banking technology.