Kharagpur is an industrial city in the Indian state of West Bengal. It is located in the Paschim Medinipur district of the state. It is a densely populated, multi-cultural and cosmopolitan city. The first Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT Kharagpur), was founded in this region in May 1950. Kharagpur is known for hosting one of the largest railway workshops in the country. The Kharagpur railway station is a busy and important railway junction and it has the 3rd longest railway platform in the world, stretching for more than 1 kilometer. The city received its name from king Kharga Malla of Mallabhum when he had conquered it. Kharagpur Municipality oversees the administration and the civic affairs in the city. The city has around 3 lakh residents. Bengali is the most commonly spoken language in the area, although many residents speak in Hindi, Telugu, Odia and Punjabi. This city has one of the largest industrial setups in the state. The good connectivity via rail and road ensures availability of labor and raw materials. Many large industrial plants belonging to important establishments like Tata, Siemens, ISD Cement, Godrej, Century Extrusions, Humboldt Wedag, Bengal Energy, Ramco Cements, etc are located in and around Kharagpur. The town has many small rice mills and iron rolling mills. An IT Park is under construction in the city.
The Vijaya Bank is headquartered in Bangalore, Karnataka, India and it is one of the nationalized public sector banks in India. The bank provides several financial products and services to customers through its delivery channels. As of March 2017, the bank has a network of approximately more than 2000 branches across India and over 4000 customer touch points including 2001 ATMs.Since its inception, the bank grew steadily. It became a scheduled bank in 1958. Vijaya Bank steadily evolved into a large All India Bank with nine smaller banks merging with it during 1963,1968 under the chairmanship of Shri. Mulki Sunder Ram Shetty. The bank registered its logo in 1965. On November 11, 1969, the banks head office was shifted to Bengaluru. On 15 April 1980, the bank was nationalized. The bank had 571 branches, with a total business of ?605.95 crore and a staff strength of 9059 at the time of nationalization. On 26 October 1984, the present head office building of the Bank was inaugurated at Mahatma Gandhi Road, Bengaluru. Shri R.A.Sankara Narayanan is the current MD & CEO of Vijaya bank. As on 31 March 2017, the banks total business is over ?2,29,000 crore containing deposits of ?1,33,012 crore and advances of ?96,821 crore.