Uluberia is located within the territorial boundaries of the Howrah district in the state of West Bengal. It functions as the headquarter of the Uluberia subdivision. A part of Uluberia is covered by Kolkata Metropolitan Development Authority. Uluberia is an industrial city situated on the bank of River Hooghly. The Rupnaayan and the Damodar rivers flow near this city, thus giving it a rich alluvial soil that supports the cultivation of paddy and various other vegetables. There are around 2 lakh residents in Uluberia who communicate in the Bengali language. In 2006, the Salim Group had invested $250 million in a motorcycle factory. There are many industrial units in Uluberia that manufacture electrical goods. The city is well connected to all the neighboring areas via road and railway. The city has been divided into several community development blocks in order to ensure able administration and organized development.
The Shamrao Vithal Co-op. Bank Ltd. or SVC Cooperative Bank Limited, is a banking company incorporated under the Companies Act, 1956 a scheduled bank, and one of the oldest Urban Co-operative Bank in India built in 1906. The bank was set up when co-operation was just started in the country. It was established with the primary aim of helping the less fortunate members of the community under the ambit of its economic enterprises. It was also to encourage savings and to create funds for providing financial aid to deserving members.Mr. Rao Bahadur Shripad Subbarao Talmaki was the chief architect of the Bank. The Bank was initially registered as a Co-operative Credit Society on 27 December 1906. The Bank is present in 10 States of India. Maharashtra, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Delhi, Rajasthan, Haryana, Goa, Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh. In 1907, cumulative deposit scheme, fixed deposit scheme and saving bank deposit were introduced by the bank. After that in 1911, the facilities for remittance were made available to the members by the draft. In 1913, the cash credit scheme was introduced by the bank. In 1956, facilities were thrown open to all communities. In 1988, the Shamrao Vithal bank was conferred the scheduled bank status.