Udupi city is the administrative headquarter of the Udupi District of Karnataka. Udupi is a prime tourist attraction in Karnataka. It is known for the famous Krishna Temple and the delectable Udupi cuisine which is famous all over South India. Udipi is often referred to as Lord Parashurama Kshetra and it is famous for Kanakana Kindi. It is an important center of pilgrimage and is known as Rajata Peetha and Shivalli. It is also known as the temple city. Udupi has more than 1.5 lakh residents who mostly speak in the Tulu language. The other languages spoken in the area are Konkani, Kannada, Hindi and English. Muslims living in Udupi speak in Urdu, Nawayathi and Beary. Udupi is slowly developing into a major town in Karnataka. Udupis economy is largely dependent on agriculture and fishing. The city has quite a few small-scale industries such as cashew industry and milk cooperatives. Udupi is of-late making its mark in the real estate industry as well. Udupi also has a local handloom sari industry, made of pure cotton. These lightweight sarees have art silk design and small motifs of art silk dotting. Manipal is a suburb of Udupi and hosts a number of famous educational institutions.
The Shamrao Vithal Co-op. Bank Ltd. or SVC Cooperative Bank Limited, is a banking company incorporated under the Companies Act, 1956 a scheduled bank, and one of the oldest Urban Co-operative Bank in India built in 1906. The bank was set up when co-operation was just started in the country. It was established with the primary aim of helping the less fortunate members of the community under the ambit of its economic enterprises. It was also to encourage savings and to create funds for providing financial aid to deserving members.Mr. Rao Bahadur Shripad Subbarao Talmaki was the chief architect of the Bank. The Bank was initially registered as a Co-operative Credit Society on 27 December 1906. The Bank is present in 10 States of India. Maharashtra, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Delhi, Rajasthan, Haryana, Goa, Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh. In 1907, cumulative deposit scheme, fixed deposit scheme and saving bank deposit were introduced by the bank. After that in 1911, the facilities for remittance were made available to the members by the draft. In 1913, the cash credit scheme was introduced by the bank. In 1956, facilities were thrown open to all communities. In 1988, the Shamrao Vithal bank was conferred the scheduled bank status.