The city of Thrissur in the Indian state of Kerala was originally known as Thiru Siva Peroor. It is more commonly known by its anglicised name Trichur. It is the fifth largest city in Kerala as well as the third largest urban agglomeration in the state. The city functions as the headquarter of the Thrissur District. The city of Thrissur has developed around a 65-acre hillock known as the Thekkinkadu Maidan which houses the famous Vadakkumnathan temple. Thrissur used to be the capital of the Kingdom of Cochin in olden days. Thrissur is known for its cultural, spiritual and religious leanings throughout history and hence often referred to as the Cultural Capital of Kerala. Thrissur a major financial and commercial hub of the state, dotted with thriving Malayali entrepreneurs. The city is known for its financial capabilities which predominantly fuels the economy. Thrissur has the headquarters and offices of almost all the banks registered under RBI, thus earning it the nickname of the "Banking town." Thrissur is also gradually emerging as the largest center for Ayurvedic drug manufacturing industry with more than 150 manufacturing units within the city. Modern retailing has also become a big business and revenue earner in Thrissur. Jewelry and textile retailing occupy a major part of Thrissurs retailing business. Famous jewelry groups like Kalyan Group, Joyalukkas, Jos Alukka & Sons, etc. have their bases in the city and provide employment opportunities to a lot of residents.
The Shamrao Vithal Co-op. Bank Ltd. or SVC Cooperative Bank Limited, is a banking company incorporated under the Companies Act, 1956 a scheduled bank, and one of the oldest Urban Co-operative Bank in India built in 1906. The bank was set up when co-operation was just started in the country. It was established with the primary aim of helping the less fortunate members of the community under the ambit of its economic enterprises. It was also to encourage savings and to create funds for providing financial aid to deserving members.Mr. Rao Bahadur Shripad Subbarao Talmaki was the chief architect of the Bank. The Bank was initially registered as a Co-operative Credit Society on 27 December 1906. The Bank is present in 10 States of India. Maharashtra, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Delhi, Rajasthan, Haryana, Goa, Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh. In 1907, cumulative deposit scheme, fixed deposit scheme and saving bank deposit were introduced by the bank. After that in 1911, the facilities for remittance were made available to the members by the draft. In 1913, the cash credit scheme was introduced by the bank. In 1956, facilities were thrown open to all communities. In 1988, the Shamrao Vithal bank was conferred the scheduled bank status.