Pallavaram, situated in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu, was originally known as Pallava Puram. It is a residential locality in Chennai. It is known for its bustling residential colonies and cantonments. The Pallavaram railway station serves the neighborhood and it belongs to the Chennai Suburban Railway Network. The historical town of Pallavaram has been resided in since the Paleolithic Age. Pallavaram has derived its name from the Pallava settlement in the area. The cantonment and aerodrome were built during the British rule. The British conducted mining activities on Pallavaram Hill. The hill, made of charnockite rock, presumably possesses healing properties. This city is one of the oldest inhabited regions in South India as many stone age artifacts have been uncovered in the area. The city has more than 2 lakh residents who speak in Tamil. Most of the residents work in various service sectors in the neighboring city of Chennai.
The Shamrao Vithal Co-op. Bank Ltd. or SVC Cooperative Bank Limited, is a banking company incorporated under the Companies Act, 1956 a scheduled bank, and one of the oldest Urban Co-operative Bank in India built in 1906. The bank was set up when co-operation was just started in the country. It was established with the primary aim of helping the less fortunate members of the community under the ambit of its economic enterprises. It was also to encourage savings and to create funds for providing financial aid to deserving members.Mr. Rao Bahadur Shripad Subbarao Talmaki was the chief architect of the Bank. The Bank was initially registered as a Co-operative Credit Society on 27 December 1906. The Bank is present in 10 States of India. Maharashtra, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Delhi, Rajasthan, Haryana, Goa, Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh. In 1907, cumulative deposit scheme, fixed deposit scheme and saving bank deposit were introduced by the bank. After that in 1911, the facilities for remittance were made available to the members by the draft. In 1913, the cash credit scheme was introduced by the bank. In 1956, facilities were thrown open to all communities. In 1988, the Shamrao Vithal bank was conferred the scheduled bank status.