Nagercoil is located in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It functions as the administrative headquarters of Kanyakumari. Nagercoil is situated very close to the tip of the Indian peninsula. It is surrounded by the Western Ghats on all sides. Earlier, it was a part of the Travancore state for a brief period soon after the Indian independence. It was merged with Tamil Nadu in 1956. The city has a Temple of the Nagas which is known as the Nagaraja Temple. The city has acquired its name from this temple. The Fish-net manufacturing is a thriving business in and around the town. Commercial fishing nets are manufactured and supplied to the domestic and export markets. Other cottage industries such as coir-making, handloom-weaving, floral trade, rubber products, food-processing units and lace-making also contribute to the citys economy as they are manufactured for trade. There are many reputed educational institutions in this city. A few interesting places worth visiting in and around this city are the Nagaraja Temple, Nagercoil Clock Tower, St. Xaviers Church, etc.
The Shamrao Vithal Co-op. Bank Ltd. or SVC Cooperative Bank Limited, is a banking company incorporated under the Companies Act, 1956 a scheduled bank, and one of the oldest Urban Co-operative Bank in India built in 1906. The bank was set up when co-operation was just started in the country. It was established with the primary aim of helping the less fortunate members of the community under the ambit of its economic enterprises. It was also to encourage savings and to create funds for providing financial aid to deserving members.Mr. Rao Bahadur Shripad Subbarao Talmaki was the chief architect of the Bank. The Bank was initially registered as a Co-operative Credit Society on 27 December 1906. The Bank is present in 10 States of India. Maharashtra, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Delhi, Rajasthan, Haryana, Goa, Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh. In 1907, cumulative deposit scheme, fixed deposit scheme and saving bank deposit were introduced by the bank. After that in 1911, the facilities for remittance were made available to the members by the draft. In 1913, the cash credit scheme was introduced by the bank. In 1956, facilities were thrown open to all communities. In 1988, the Shamrao Vithal bank was conferred the scheduled bank status.