Kishanganj in Bihar was earlier a part of the Purnia district. The city, located in the Mithila region of the state, has now become a district on its own. The region has been under the dominance of the Indo-Aryan race, the Kingdom of the Videhas and was later incorporated into the Vajji confederacy. It is an economically backward region and is currently being funded by the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme. Kishanganj is a Muslim majority area in Bihar that has more than 1 lakh residents. The people living in Kishanganj speak in Maithili, Urdu, Surjapuri and Hindi. Many educational institutions have been established in Kishanganj in the last few years. Sonia Gandhi laid down the foundation stone of the Kishanganj campus of Aligarh Muslim University in 2014. Dr. A P J Abdul Kalam Agriculture College is also being built at Kishanganj. The city has a strong railhead and is well-connected to the neighboring areas via railway as well as roads.
The Shamrao Vithal Co-op. Bank Ltd. or SVC Cooperative Bank Limited, is a banking company incorporated under the Companies Act, 1956 a scheduled bank, and one of the oldest Urban Co-operative Bank in India built in 1906. The bank was set up when co-operation was just started in the country. It was established with the primary aim of helping the less fortunate members of the community under the ambit of its economic enterprises. It was also to encourage savings and to create funds for providing financial aid to deserving members.Mr. Rao Bahadur Shripad Subbarao Talmaki was the chief architect of the Bank. The Bank was initially registered as a Co-operative Credit Society on 27 December 1906. The Bank is present in 10 States of India. Maharashtra, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Delhi, Rajasthan, Haryana, Goa, Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh. In 1907, cumulative deposit scheme, fixed deposit scheme and saving bank deposit were introduced by the bank. After that in 1911, the facilities for remittance were made available to the members by the draft. In 1913, the cash credit scheme was introduced by the bank. In 1956, facilities were thrown open to all communities. In 1988, the Shamrao Vithal bank was conferred the scheduled bank status.