Karaikudi is situated in the Sivaganga district of Tamil Nadu. It is a greater municipality and the states 20th largest urban agglomeration. It is part of the Chettinad area and has been declared a heritage town by the State Government of Tamil Nadu. Karaikudi is known for its palatial houses that are built with limestone called Karai Veedu. Karaikudi has derived its name from the thorny plant called Karai. It has been referred to in the ancient literature as Kareekudi. The name gradually got modified and modernized into Karaikudi. It was established in the 19th century. The oldest known structure in the area is the Koppudaiya Nayagi Amman Temple. The town of Karaikudi is home to the Nagarathars and the Chettiars who form the business community, the financiers and the trade facilitators. Karaikudi is a rapidly developing urban center. UNESCO has proposed to set up a Chettinad Heritage Museum in the area, recognizing the unique architectural style of the region. Karaikudi is known for its palm leaf baskets woven by the women, known as Chettinad Kottan. Chettinadu Kandangi sarees of Karaikudi are widely popular in the region. The handicraft industry in Karaikudi is indeed a thriving business. Karaikudi is also known for its delectable cuisine. There are many prominent temples in the area that attract tourists. Kundrakudi Shanmuganathan Temple, Ariyakudi Thiruvengamudayan Temple, Pillayarpatti Karpagavinayagar temple, Thirumayam Permual Temple, Kannadasan Mandapam, Kamban Manimandapam, Chettinad Raja Palace and Thousand windows house are the visitor attractions in Karaikudi
The Shamrao Vithal Co-op. Bank Ltd. or SVC Cooperative Bank Limited, is a banking company incorporated under the Companies Act, 1956 a scheduled bank, and one of the oldest Urban Co-operative Bank in India built in 1906. The bank was set up when co-operation was just started in the country. It was established with the primary aim of helping the less fortunate members of the community under the ambit of its economic enterprises. It was also to encourage savings and to create funds for providing financial aid to deserving members.Mr. Rao Bahadur Shripad Subbarao Talmaki was the chief architect of the Bank. The Bank was initially registered as a Co-operative Credit Society on 27 December 1906. The Bank is present in 10 States of India. Maharashtra, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Delhi, Rajasthan, Haryana, Goa, Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh. In 1907, cumulative deposit scheme, fixed deposit scheme and saving bank deposit were introduced by the bank. After that in 1911, the facilities for remittance were made available to the members by the draft. In 1913, the cash credit scheme was introduced by the bank. In 1956, facilities were thrown open to all communities. In 1988, the Shamrao Vithal bank was conferred the scheduled bank status.