Guntakal is situated in the Anantapur district of Andhra Pradesh. The headquarter of the Anantapur revenue division and the Guntakal mandal is situated in this city. The city houses around 2 lakh residents who mainly speak in Telugu and Kannada. Situated in the south-western part of Andhra Pradesh, Guntakal is very close to the state border and is only 50 kilometers away from Bellary in Karnataka. Guntakal Railway Division of South Central Railway is one of the most profitable divisions in Indian Railways and it houses a railway diesel shed. Lord Anjaneya Swamy Temple, which is locally referred to as Nettikanti Anjaneya Swamy Temple, is situated near Guntakal and attracts devotees from across Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and several other parts of South India every day. Guntakal also has a relic of the Jain religion. Jambudweepachakra in the vicinity of the town is known to have been sculpted by Jain priests. The is a tomb of a Sufi saint named Mastan Vali is situated near Guntakal which attracts devotees across all religions and castes. Our Lady of Health Church at Guntakal is an architectural wonder.
The Shamrao Vithal Co-op. Bank Ltd. or SVC Cooperative Bank Limited, is a banking company incorporated under the Companies Act, 1956 a scheduled bank, and one of the oldest Urban Co-operative Bank in India built in 1906. The bank was set up when co-operation was just started in the country. It was established with the primary aim of helping the less fortunate members of the community under the ambit of its economic enterprises. It was also to encourage savings and to create funds for providing financial aid to deserving members.Mr. Rao Bahadur Shripad Subbarao Talmaki was the chief architect of the Bank. The Bank was initially registered as a Co-operative Credit Society on 27 December 1906. The Bank is present in 10 States of India. Maharashtra, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Delhi, Rajasthan, Haryana, Goa, Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh. In 1907, cumulative deposit scheme, fixed deposit scheme and saving bank deposit were introduced by the bank. After that in 1911, the facilities for remittance were made available to the members by the draft. In 1913, the cash credit scheme was introduced by the bank. In 1956, facilities were thrown open to all communities. In 1988, the Shamrao Vithal bank was conferred the scheduled bank status.