Bijapur, a small city in the Indian state of Karnataka, is officially known as Vijayapura. The city is renowned for its historical monuments of grand architecture built during the reign of the Adil Shahi dynasty. It is a heritage city of Karnataka. The city was established in the 10th or 11th century by the Chalukyas of Kalyani and was named as Vijayapura or the city of victory. Bijapur is an ancient city which is the domain of different cultures and also houses five rivers. The rivers ensure a fertile land in the area that supports the agricultural lifestyle of its people. However, most of these rivers are rainfed and hence the region suffers from drought very frequently. There are reputed universities at Bijapur such as the Visvesvaraya Technological University, Karnataka State Womens University, Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, etc. The place has a rich cultural heritage reflected through its sophisticated literature.
The Shamrao Vithal Co-op. Bank Ltd. or SVC Cooperative Bank Limited, is a banking company incorporated under the Companies Act, 1956 a scheduled bank, and one of the oldest Urban Co-operative Bank in India built in 1906. The bank was set up when co-operation was just started in the country. It was established with the primary aim of helping the less fortunate members of the community under the ambit of its economic enterprises. It was also to encourage savings and to create funds for providing financial aid to deserving members.Mr. Rao Bahadur Shripad Subbarao Talmaki was the chief architect of the Bank. The Bank was initially registered as a Co-operative Credit Society on 27 December 1906. The Bank is present in 10 States of India. Maharashtra, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Delhi, Rajasthan, Haryana, Goa, Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh. In 1907, cumulative deposit scheme, fixed deposit scheme and saving bank deposit were introduced by the bank. After that in 1911, the facilities for remittance were made available to the members by the draft. In 1913, the cash credit scheme was introduced by the bank. In 1956, facilities were thrown open to all communities. In 1988, the Shamrao Vithal bank was conferred the scheduled bank status.