Bhiwani, a city and a municipal council, is located in the Bhiwani district of the Indian state of Haryana. It is a seat of spiritual learning and the center of regional politics. Bhiwani was known as the Gate of Rajputana before the independence. The city had 12 mighty gates in the 14th century, constructed by Thakur Neem Singh. Bhiwani is known for its conventional school of boxing. Many members of the Indian Boxing Squad are from Bhiwani. Some believe that Bhiwani got its name from Goddess Gauri Bhawani, yet another belief prevails that the name is derived from a Rajput Queen by the name of Bhani. The town has been a prominent center of commerce since the Mughal era. The town is also known for its numerous temples which earns it the name of "The Kashi of Haryana." Bhiwani is known for its textile industry and it houses the Grasim Textile Mills. The Technological Institute of Textile & Sciences at Bhiwani is Indias top textile research institute that was established by the Birla Group. There are also a few other colleges offering courses in technology, nursing and general disciplines.
The Shamrao Vithal Co-op. Bank Ltd. or SVC Cooperative Bank Limited, is a banking company incorporated under the Companies Act, 1956 a scheduled bank, and one of the oldest Urban Co-operative Bank in India built in 1906. The bank was set up when co-operation was just started in the country. It was established with the primary aim of helping the less fortunate members of the community under the ambit of its economic enterprises. It was also to encourage savings and to create funds for providing financial aid to deserving members.Mr. Rao Bahadur Shripad Subbarao Talmaki was the chief architect of the Bank. The Bank was initially registered as a Co-operative Credit Society on 27 December 1906. The Bank is present in 10 States of India. Maharashtra, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Delhi, Rajasthan, Haryana, Goa, Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh. In 1907, cumulative deposit scheme, fixed deposit scheme and saving bank deposit were introduced by the bank. After that in 1911, the facilities for remittance were made available to the members by the draft. In 1913, the cash credit scheme was introduced by the bank. In 1956, facilities were thrown open to all communities. In 1988, the Shamrao Vithal bank was conferred the scheduled bank status.