Begusarai is a town in the Indian state of Bihar. It functions as the administrative headquarters of the Begusarai district which lies on the northern bank of Ganges. It was established and made into a part of the Munger District 1870. The communists have had a strong hold on Begusarai and thus the town was once called the "Leningrad of Bihar." The city is divided into three floodplains called the Ganga Floodplain, the Burhi Gandak Floodplain and the Kareha-Bagmati Floodplain. Agriculture is the pillar of Begusarais economy. The principal cash crops of the area are oilseeds, aniseed, tobacco, jute, potato, red chilies and tomato. Fruits such as Litchi, Mango, Guava and Banana are also cultivated in the area. Recently basil leaves and pearl farming has attracted local farmers. The Barauni refinery contributes considerably to the state exchequer yearly. The city has around 2.5 lakh residents who are mostly employed in the agricultural sector.
The Shamrao Vithal Co-op. Bank Ltd. or SVC Cooperative Bank Limited, is a banking company incorporated under the Companies Act, 1956 a scheduled bank, and one of the oldest Urban Co-operative Bank in India built in 1906. The bank was set up when co-operation was just started in the country. It was established with the primary aim of helping the less fortunate members of the community under the ambit of its economic enterprises. It was also to encourage savings and to create funds for providing financial aid to deserving members.Mr. Rao Bahadur Shripad Subbarao Talmaki was the chief architect of the Bank. The Bank was initially registered as a Co-operative Credit Society on 27 December 1906. The Bank is present in 10 States of India. Maharashtra, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Delhi, Rajasthan, Haryana, Goa, Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh. In 1907, cumulative deposit scheme, fixed deposit scheme and saving bank deposit were introduced by the bank. After that in 1911, the facilities for remittance were made available to the members by the draft. In 1913, the cash credit scheme was introduced by the bank. In 1956, facilities were thrown open to all communities. In 1988, the Shamrao Vithal bank was conferred the scheduled bank status.