Adoni is located in the Kurnool district of Andhra Pradesh. The municipality of Adoni also functions as the headquarter of the Adoni Mandal and the Adoni Revenue Division. Adoni has a population of more than 1.5 lakh residents, who speak in Telugu. Adoni was a fort town of the famous Vijayanagara Empire during the 15th to 16th centuries. After the decline of this glorious empire, Adoni went into the hands of Ali Adil Shah I of the Bijapur Sultanate. The Mohammedan rulers soon captured the area within a few years. The area was tossed to the hands of the Nizams and the Marathas and finally went to the British. In the late 19th century, Adoni faced a severe El Nino famine which claimed nearly one-third of its population. Adoni became a part of Andhra Pradesh in 1953. Adoni is a huge producer of cotton. The city has a thriving ginning and textile industry. Groundnut oil is another major production of Adoni. This city is also an important trading center in the state, with a large market situated in the center of the town. Adoni is often referred to as the second "Bombay" of India for its businesses and also for its cotton exports.
The Shamrao Vithal Co-op. Bank Ltd. or SVC Cooperative Bank Limited, is a banking company incorporated under the Companies Act, 1956 a scheduled bank, and one of the oldest Urban Co-operative Bank in India built in 1906. The bank was set up when co-operation was just started in the country. It was established with the primary aim of helping the less fortunate members of the community under the ambit of its economic enterprises. It was also to encourage savings and to create funds for providing financial aid to deserving members.Mr. Rao Bahadur Shripad Subbarao Talmaki was the chief architect of the Bank. The Bank was initially registered as a Co-operative Credit Society on 27 December 1906. The Bank is present in 10 States of India. Maharashtra, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Delhi, Rajasthan, Haryana, Goa, Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh. In 1907, cumulative deposit scheme, fixed deposit scheme and saving bank deposit were introduced by the bank. After that in 1911, the facilities for remittance were made available to the members by the draft. In 1913, the cash credit scheme was introduced by the bank. In 1956, facilities were thrown open to all communities. In 1988, the Shamrao Vithal bank was conferred the scheduled bank status.