surendranagar Dudhrej is situated in the Surendranagar district of Gujarat. During the colonial era, Surendranagar was used as a hill station for medication and treatment. Its dry environment was beneficial for various ailments. The dry air of Surendranagar is still believed to be the apt place in Gujarat to bring relief to patients of tuberculosis. Surendranagar has many SMEs including confectioneries, ceramics, pharmaceuticals, engineering plastics and salt production. Nearly 25% of Indias salt supply comes from Surendranagar. The Wadhwan city near Surendranagar functions as a major hub for trade and processing of cotton, agricultural products, salt, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, plastics, textile bearings, ceramics and sanitary ware. Surendranagar is also a hub of cotton and ginning activities. Numerous ginning and pressing units can be found in the area. It is a large producer of premium quality shankar cotton in the world. The Surendranagar Cotton Oil and Oilseeds Association Ltd. is famous for trade and exchange. It is Indias first Cotton Future Trading Exchange and was established in 1964. Home to a big textile and clothing market, Surendranagar specializes in saris. Vadwala Mandir of the Rabari community is situated in Surendranagar and attracts many visitors of the community on important days of rituals and ceremonies.
In 1926, seven businessmen of Karur founded Lakshmi Vilas Bank under the leadership of Shri V.S.N. Ramalinga Chettiar. They aimed to serve the financial needs of people who were occupied in trading businesses, industry and agriculture, in and around Karur. The bank was established on November 3, 1926, under the Indian Companies Act, 1913, and on November 10, 1926, it obtained the certificate to commence business. After the Banking Regulations Act was introduced in1949, the bank received its banking license from RBI and became a scheduled commercial bank? revealing its capability to operate as a full-fledged commercial bank. Lakshmi Vilas Bank did considerable expansion of its branch network from 1961 to 1965, when the bank took over nine other banks. The bank started the development of its branch network beyond Tamil Nadu in 1974 to take benefit from the additional opportunities across India. Thus, offices were established in the neighboring states of Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, and Kerala, critical financial centres like Kolkata, Mumbai and New Delhi, as well as in other prominent business centers in Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, and Gujarat.