Pallavaram, situated in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu, was originally known as Pallava Puram. It is a residential locality in Chennai. It is known for its bustling residential colonies and cantonments. The Pallavaram railway station serves the neighborhood and it belongs to the Chennai Suburban Railway Network. The historical town of Pallavaram has been resided in since the Paleolithic Age. Pallavaram has derived its name from the Pallava settlement in the area. The cantonment and aerodrome were built during the British rule. The British conducted mining activities on Pallavaram Hill. The hill, made of charnockite rock, presumably possesses healing properties. This city is one of the oldest inhabited regions in South India as many stone age artifacts have been uncovered in the area. The city has more than 2 lakh residents who speak in Tamil. Most of the residents work in various service sectors in the neighboring city of Chennai.
In 1926, seven businessmen of Karur founded Lakshmi Vilas Bank under the leadership of Shri V.S.N. Ramalinga Chettiar. They aimed to serve the financial needs of people who were occupied in trading businesses, industry and agriculture, in and around Karur. The bank was established on November 3, 1926, under the Indian Companies Act, 1913, and on November 10, 1926, it obtained the certificate to commence business. After the Banking Regulations Act was introduced in1949, the bank received its banking license from RBI and became a scheduled commercial bank? revealing its capability to operate as a full-fledged commercial bank. Lakshmi Vilas Bank did considerable expansion of its branch network from 1961 to 1965, when the bank took over nine other banks. The bank started the development of its branch network beyond Tamil Nadu in 1974 to take benefit from the additional opportunities across India. Thus, offices were established in the neighboring states of Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, and Kerala, critical financial centres like Kolkata, Mumbai and New Delhi, as well as in other prominent business centers in Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, and Gujarat.