The city of Nandyal is situated in the Kurnool district of Andhra Pradesh. It functions as a municipality as well as the headquarter of the Nandyal Mandal in the Nandyal revenue division. There are over 2 lakh residents in this city and they speak in Telugu. The City was earlier known as Nandalluru. It receives its name from Nandi, the vehicle or "vahana" of Lord Shiva. The word Aalaya means house or abode in Sanskrit. The city of Nandyal is surrounded by nine Nandis. Hence, it was named as Nandi Aalaya. Over the time, the name got modified to Nandyala or Nandyal, which is the present name of the city. Nandyal is surrounded by nine temples of Nandi, the bull. These bull temples are collectively known as the Nava Nandi. The largest Nandi idol in the city is in Sri Yaganti Uma Maheswara Temple. The Archaeological Survey of India claims that the rock grows at a rate of 1 inch in 20 years. Nandyal is a major hub of industries as well as agriculture. The city is rich in natural resources like marble. Additionally, there are numerous rice mills and oil mills in the area apart from a few industries that produce milk, soft drinks, sugar, PVC pipes, etc. A few famous companies like Milk Dairy, Nandi Polymers, S. P. Y. Agro and Nandi Steels have set up their units in the city.
In 1926, seven businessmen of Karur founded Lakshmi Vilas Bank under the leadership of Shri V.S.N. Ramalinga Chettiar. They aimed to serve the financial needs of people who were occupied in trading businesses, industry and agriculture, in and around Karur. The bank was established on November 3, 1926, under the Indian Companies Act, 1913, and on November 10, 1926, it obtained the certificate to commence business. After the Banking Regulations Act was introduced in1949, the bank received its banking license from RBI and became a scheduled commercial bank? revealing its capability to operate as a full-fledged commercial bank. Lakshmi Vilas Bank did considerable expansion of its branch network from 1961 to 1965, when the bank took over nine other banks. The bank started the development of its branch network beyond Tamil Nadu in 1974 to take benefit from the additional opportunities across India. Thus, offices were established in the neighboring states of Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, and Kerala, critical financial centres like Kolkata, Mumbai and New Delhi, as well as in other prominent business centers in Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, and Gujarat.