Madhyamgram is situated in the Barasat Sadar subdivision of the North 24 Parganas district in the Indian state of West Bengal. It is a suburb of Kolkata, located around 20 kilometers away from the capital city. Madhyamgram was feudal provinces of Bengal under the Ruler of Jessore during the Mughal era. It got passed on to the British East India Company after the Battle of Plassey in 1757. The Labanyabati river would earlier flow through the area and support the agriculture and trade. Paddy was grown in Madhyamgram and exported via river navigation. The place was also known for its fine embroidery work done by the Muslim inhabitants and traded to rich buyers in Delhi and Mumbai. However, the wide channel of the Labanyabati river endured years of silt deposition and turned into a canal. Its name, through the colloquial transformation, got renamed to Noai. It is now a tiny stream and people call it the Noai Canal. There are many textile mills and rubber factories in Madhyamgram which boosts the economy of the city. There are nearly two lakh residents in Madhyamgram and they speak in Bengali. The town has two graduate colleges- Acharya Prafulla Chandra College and Vivekananda College. Most of its residents travel to nearby cities or the metro city of Kolkata for work or education. The city is very well connected to nearby areas via railway and roads.
In 1926, seven businessmen of Karur founded Lakshmi Vilas Bank under the leadership of Shri V.S.N. Ramalinga Chettiar. They aimed to serve the financial needs of people who were occupied in trading businesses, industry and agriculture, in and around Karur. The bank was established on November 3, 1926, under the Indian Companies Act, 1913, and on November 10, 1926, it obtained the certificate to commence business. After the Banking Regulations Act was introduced in1949, the bank received its banking license from RBI and became a scheduled commercial bank? revealing its capability to operate as a full-fledged commercial bank. Lakshmi Vilas Bank did considerable expansion of its branch network from 1961 to 1965, when the bank took over nine other banks. The bank started the development of its branch network beyond Tamil Nadu in 1974 to take benefit from the additional opportunities across India. Thus, offices were established in the neighboring states of Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, and Kerala, critical financial centres like Kolkata, Mumbai and New Delhi, as well as in other prominent business centers in Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, and Gujarat.