Chinsurah is a town on the banks of the Hooghly river in the Hooghly district of the Indian state of West Bengal. It is often known by the name Hooghly-Chinsura or Chuchura. The town functions as the administrative headquarters of the Hooghly district. Chinsurah was a Dutch settlement prior to the Indian independence. Chinsurah was used as a base for trade in various commodities such as saltpeter, spices, cotton and indigo. The town of Chinsurah has nearly 3 lakh residents and Bengali is the most commonly used language. The town is connected to the nearby cities of Kolkata and Bardhaman through railway as it is situated on the Howrah-Bardhaman main line. The Grand Trunk Road or the G.T.Road passes through the town. Ferry services on River Hooghly connects Chinsurah to Naihati in the district of North 24 Parganas. Most of the residents of this town travel to the metro city of Kolkata for work. The District Court building at Chinsurah is known to be the longest building in the state. Chinsurah also has the oldest Armenian church in India. The Hooghly Imambara, the Edwardian clock tower called Ghorir More, the temple of Mahishmardini, the temple of Shandeshwar and the Bandel Church nearby are places worth visiting in Chinsurah. There are some famous educational institutions in Chinsurah - the Hooghly Mohsin college, Collegiate school, Don Bosco and Auxilium Convent are seats of profound education in this town.
In 1926, seven businessmen of Karur founded Lakshmi Vilas Bank under the leadership of Shri V.S.N. Ramalinga Chettiar. They aimed to serve the financial needs of people who were occupied in trading businesses, industry and agriculture, in and around Karur. The bank was established on November 3, 1926, under the Indian Companies Act, 1913, and on November 10, 1926, it obtained the certificate to commence business. After the Banking Regulations Act was introduced in1949, the bank received its banking license from RBI and became a scheduled commercial bank? revealing its capability to operate as a full-fledged commercial bank. Lakshmi Vilas Bank did considerable expansion of its branch network from 1961 to 1965, when the bank took over nine other banks. The bank started the development of its branch network beyond Tamil Nadu in 1974 to take benefit from the additional opportunities across India. Thus, offices were established in the neighboring states of Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, and Kerala, critical financial centres like Kolkata, Mumbai and New Delhi, as well as in other prominent business centers in Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, and Gujarat.