Hindupur is located in the Anantapur district of Andhra Pradesh. It functions as the headquarters of the Hindupur revenue division and mandal. This town houses more than 1.5 lakh residents who primarily speak in Telugu. Hindupur is a commercially and industrially populous town. Hindupur is an important pilgrim; Sri Ranganath Swamy Temple and near Lepakshi temple attracts thousands of pilgrims every year. The municipal town of Hindupur is divided into 38 election wards and 30 revenue wards to ensure effective governance. Hindupur lies on the banks of River Penna. However, the agricultural scenario in the area is largely dependant upon rains and often suffers from the shortage of drinking water and crop failures due to the lack of adequate rain. agricultural requirements. Hindupur is a leading commercial center in the Rayalaseema Region. Cloth business is the most important business in Hindupur along with various products such as jaggery, tamarind, groundnuts, chilies and pulses. Mulberry cocoons are also procured in this town which results in the production of silk threads and silk sarees. Silk trade is gaining momentum at Hindupur as one of the important commercial activities and it might soon develop for the foreign export of silk fabrics. The area also has a few cottage industries like starch factories, beedi making, oil mills, match factories and agarbathi units.
In 1926, seven businessmen of Karur founded Lakshmi Vilas Bank under the leadership of Shri V.S.N. Ramalinga Chettiar. They aimed to serve the financial needs of people who were occupied in trading businesses, industry and agriculture, in and around Karur. The bank was established on November 3, 1926, under the Indian Companies Act, 1913, and on November 10, 1926, it obtained the certificate to commence business. After the Banking Regulations Act was introduced in1949, the bank received its banking license from RBI and became a scheduled commercial bank? revealing its capability to operate as a full-fledged commercial bank. Lakshmi Vilas Bank did considerable expansion of its branch network from 1961 to 1965, when the bank took over nine other banks. The bank started the development of its branch network beyond Tamil Nadu in 1974 to take benefit from the additional opportunities across India. Thus, offices were established in the neighboring states of Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, and Kerala, critical financial centres like Kolkata, Mumbai and New Delhi, as well as in other prominent business centers in Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, and Gujarat.