Vadodara is more popularly known by its earlier name Baroda. It is an important city in Gujarat. Vadodara stands third among the largest cities in Gujarat, closely following Ahmedabad and Surat. It is known for its rich cultural heritage, and hence the city has earned the name of the ?Sanskrit Nagar? or the ?Kala Nagari? (City of Arts). After the Mughals were expelled by the Marathas from Gujarat, their local lieutenants known as the Gaekwad clan settled down in Vadodara. The descendants of the royal family still remain in this city in the famous Lakshmi Vilas Palace. Fertilizers, medicines, compounds, fisheries, dairy, fiber weaves and machine gears contribute to this citys economy. Crops like rice, wheat, grams, sugarcane, yellow peas and yarn are harvested in Vadodara. The city is located on the banks of the Vishwamitri river. Vadodara experiences a semi-arid climate, with dry summers and winters and humid monsoon days. Many large-scale and heavy industries can be found in this city. Units of Indian Oil Corporation (IOCL), Indian Petrochemicals Corporation Limited (IPCL), Gujarat State Fertilizers & Chemicals (GSFC), Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (or ONGC), Gujarat Alkalis and Chemicals Limited (GACL) and Gas Authority of India Limited (GAIL) are to be found in and around the city. There are numerous educational institutions in Vadodara including the largest university in Gujarat - Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda.
The J&K Bank is a private sector banking and financial services company based in Srinagar, Jammu, and Kashmir. J&K Bank established on October 1, 1938, was the first bank in the country to emerge as a state-owned bank. On 1 October 1938, the Jammu and Kashmir Bank was founded by Maharaja Hari Singh (the Maharaja of Jammu and Kashmir). The eminent investors were invited by the Maharaja to become the founding directors and shareholders of the bank. The most notable investors were Abdul Aziz Mantoo, Pesten jee, Pandit Sriniwas Magotra, and the Bhagat Family, all of whom acquired a significant holding in bank shares. On 4 July 1939, the bank commenced the operations, and it was declared as the first semi-state-owned bank of with participation in capital by State and the public under the control of State Government. The bank had achieved the status of a scheduled bank In the year 1971 and was recognized as an "A" Class bank by the Reserve Bank of India in 1976. The bank had to face severe difficulties during independence time as out of its ten branches two branches of Muzaffarabad, Rawalakot, and Mirpur fell to the other side of the line of control (now Pakistan administered Kashmir) along with cash and other assets. As per the regulations of Indian Companies Act 1956, the bank was declared as a government company following the extension of Central laws to the state of Jammu & Kashmir.