serampore is a famous historical town in the Indian state of West Bengal. While Serampore is the British spelling, the name of this town is spelled in different ways such as Srirampur, Shreerampore, Shrirampur, etc. The town is located in the Hooghly district and it functions as the headquarter of the Srirampore subdivision. The town is covered by the Kolkata Metropolitan Development Authority. Serampore is a pre-colonial town, situated on the west bank of River Hooghly. It was under the Danish rule from 1755 to 1845 and was known as Frederiknagore during the Danish dominance. This old city has stood the test of time and witnessed many social changes such as the rise and fall of feudalism, the advent of the Danes, the Bengal Renaissance during the British governance and subsequent industrial development in the post-independent era. Serampore has now become a satellite town of Kolkata and is undergoing rapid urbanization. There are many pristine educational institutions at Serampore - the Serampore College, Government College of Engineering and Textile Technology, Chatra Nandalal Institution are a few to name. The Mahesh area in Serampore is well-known for its yearly "Rath-Yatra" (Chariot ceremony in honor of God Jagannath) when thousands of devotees from all over the state flock to this town to witness the grand ceremony. The city of Serampore is very well connected to the rest of the state via railway and road.
The J&K Bank is a private sector banking and financial services company based in Srinagar, Jammu, and Kashmir. J&K Bank established on October 1, 1938, was the first bank in the country to emerge as a state-owned bank. On 1 October 1938, the Jammu and Kashmir Bank was founded by Maharaja Hari Singh (the Maharaja of Jammu and Kashmir). The eminent investors were invited by the Maharaja to become the founding directors and shareholders of the bank. The most notable investors were Abdul Aziz Mantoo, Pesten jee, Pandit Sriniwas Magotra, and the Bhagat Family, all of whom acquired a significant holding in bank shares. On 4 July 1939, the bank commenced the operations, and it was declared as the first semi-state-owned bank of with participation in capital by State and the public under the control of State Government. The bank had achieved the status of a scheduled bank In the year 1971 and was recognized as an "A" Class bank by the Reserve Bank of India in 1976. The bank had to face severe difficulties during independence time as out of its ten branches two branches of Muzaffarabad, Rawalakot, and Mirpur fell to the other side of the line of control (now Pakistan administered Kashmir) along with cash and other assets. As per the regulations of Indian Companies Act 1956, the bank was declared as a government company following the extension of Central laws to the state of Jammu & Kashmir.