The twin cities of Kalyan and Dombivli were joined and converted into the Kalyan-Dombivli municipal corporation in 1982 to improve the administration of the twin townships. The headquarter of this city is situated in Kalyan. Kalyan and Dombivli are both cities in the Thane District of Konkan division in Maharashtra state. The city comprises a majority of Hindu residents who speak mostly in Marathi. The weather in this city follows the exact trends as that of Mumbai and is known to experience the notorious Mumbai rains. The twin city of Kalyan-Dombivli had been under the reigns of the Mughal, the Portuguese as well as the British. The celebrated Maratha heroes, held in high esteem by the residents, were the only valiant defense against these foreign invasions. The city of Kalyan used to be surrounded by a fort wall which was constructed during the Mughal age and further improved by the Maratha rulers. It was called the Durgadi Fort. History claims that a small wooden temple dedicated to Durgadevi was behind the mosque inside this fort wall. However, this historical relic was dismantled by the British and the stones were used to build the piers of Thane and Kalyan. The idol in the temple was also stolen. Only the remnants of the north-west gate of this fort still remain to remind the people of the historic past.
The J&K Bank is a private sector banking and financial services company based in Srinagar, Jammu, and Kashmir. J&K Bank established on October 1, 1938, was the first bank in the country to emerge as a state-owned bank. On 1 October 1938, the Jammu and Kashmir Bank was founded by Maharaja Hari Singh (the Maharaja of Jammu and Kashmir). The eminent investors were invited by the Maharaja to become the founding directors and shareholders of the bank. The most notable investors were Abdul Aziz Mantoo, Pesten jee, Pandit Sriniwas Magotra, and the Bhagat Family, all of whom acquired a significant holding in bank shares. On 4 July 1939, the bank commenced the operations, and it was declared as the first semi-state-owned bank of with participation in capital by State and the public under the control of State Government. The bank had achieved the status of a scheduled bank In the year 1971 and was recognized as an "A" Class bank by the Reserve Bank of India in 1976. The bank had to face severe difficulties during independence time as out of its ten branches two branches of Muzaffarabad, Rawalakot, and Mirpur fell to the other side of the line of control (now Pakistan administered Kashmir) along with cash and other assets. As per the regulations of Indian Companies Act 1956, the bank was declared as a government company following the extension of Central laws to the state of Jammu & Kashmir.