The city of Jammu in the Jammu Division of the Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir is the winter capital of the state. All the administrative offices of Jammu & Kashmir move from Srinagar to Jammu from November to April. Jammu is the main cultural and economic center of the administrative division of Jammu. The city dwells on the banks of River Tawi, with five bridges on the river. Jammu city is surrounded by the Shivalik range and the Trikuta Range. It experiences a humid subtropical climate with extremely torrid summer reaching 46 ?C, and freezing winters, occasionally falling below 4 ?C. Tourism is the largest industry in Jammu. The city serves as a focal point for the pilgrims visiting Vaishno Devi. All the major tourist attractions in Kashmir such as Poonch, Doda and Laddakh are reached via Jammu city. Hence, the city bustles with tourists from all the parts of India throughout the year. Various places of tourist interest in and around Jammu include old historic relics like Mubarak Mandi, Rani Park, Amar Mahal, Purani Mandi, Bahu Fort, Ranbireshwar Temple, Karbala, Raghunath Temple, Peer Meetha, Old city, etc. The economy of the city is also supported by its number of woodgrain mills and rice mills which cater to the local population. There is an industrial estate located at Bari Brahamna which has Industrial units manufacturing products like carpets, electronic goods, electric goods, etc. This area also has a freight rail link which aids in carrying the manufactured goods to other parts the country.
The J&K Bank is a private sector banking and financial services company based in Srinagar, Jammu, and Kashmir. J&K Bank established on October 1, 1938, was the first bank in the country to emerge as a state-owned bank. On 1 October 1938, the Jammu and Kashmir Bank was founded by Maharaja Hari Singh (the Maharaja of Jammu and Kashmir). The eminent investors were invited by the Maharaja to become the founding directors and shareholders of the bank. The most notable investors were Abdul Aziz Mantoo, Pesten jee, Pandit Sriniwas Magotra, and the Bhagat Family, all of whom acquired a significant holding in bank shares. On 4 July 1939, the bank commenced the operations, and it was declared as the first semi-state-owned bank of with participation in capital by State and the public under the control of State Government. The bank had achieved the status of a scheduled bank In the year 1971 and was recognized as an "A" Class bank by the Reserve Bank of India in 1976. The bank had to face severe difficulties during independence time as out of its ten branches two branches of Muzaffarabad, Rawalakot, and Mirpur fell to the other side of the line of control (now Pakistan administered Kashmir) along with cash and other assets. As per the regulations of Indian Companies Act 1956, the bank was declared as a government company following the extension of Central laws to the state of Jammu & Kashmir.