Haridwar is an ancient and holy city in the Indian state of Uttarakhand. The River Ganga, after having descended from its source in the Gangotri Glacier for 253 kilometers, enters the Indo-Gangetic Plains for the first time at Haridwar. Hence the ancient name of the city was Gangadw?ra. Haridwar is one of the sapta Puri or seven holiest places where, according to Hindu mythology, salvation can be attained. According to Hindu religious texts, Amrit or elixir had been accidentally spilled over Haridwar during the mythological "Samudra Manthan." The spot where the elixir had been spilled is known as Brahma Kund which is a celebrated Hindu pilgrimage. Moreover, the Kumbh Mela is celebrated at Haridwar every 12 years and millions of people from across the world throng to the city. They perform the ritualistic dip in the holy Ganga and seek salvation. Tourism drives the economy of the state and the place is always full of devotees or tourists. The hospitality industry is equally thriving in this city. Haridwar is also an ancient seat of learning and it hosts many prestigious educational institutions. The city is well connected to all parts of the country. The most famous places that people visit in Haridwar are Har Ki Pauri, Chandi Devi Temple, Kankhal, Pawan Dham, Bharat Mata Mandir, etc. There are quite a few places for shopping in Haridwar where people usually purchase items of devotion and inexpensive ornaments.
The J&K Bank is a private sector banking and financial services company based in Srinagar, Jammu, and Kashmir. J&K Bank established on October 1, 1938, was the first bank in the country to emerge as a state-owned bank. On 1 October 1938, the Jammu and Kashmir Bank was founded by Maharaja Hari Singh (the Maharaja of Jammu and Kashmir). The eminent investors were invited by the Maharaja to become the founding directors and shareholders of the bank. The most notable investors were Abdul Aziz Mantoo, Pesten jee, Pandit Sriniwas Magotra, and the Bhagat Family, all of whom acquired a significant holding in bank shares. On 4 July 1939, the bank commenced the operations, and it was declared as the first semi-state-owned bank of with participation in capital by State and the public under the control of State Government. The bank had achieved the status of a scheduled bank In the year 1971 and was recognized as an "A" Class bank by the Reserve Bank of India in 1976. The bank had to face severe difficulties during independence time as out of its ten branches two branches of Muzaffarabad, Rawalakot, and Mirpur fell to the other side of the line of control (now Pakistan administered Kashmir) along with cash and other assets. As per the regulations of Indian Companies Act 1956, the bank was declared as a government company following the extension of Central laws to the state of Jammu & Kashmir.