Haldia is an industrial city as well as a port city in the Indian state of West Bengal. It is located in the Purba Medinipur district. Haldia has a major river port and an industrial belt, situated at a distance of more than 100 kilometers from Kolkata, near the mouth of the Hooghly River. The Haldi River, an offshoot of Ganges, borders the Haldia Township. Haldia is a center for the petrochemical industry and is being improved into a major trade port for Kolkata. The city has around 2 lakh residents, mostly employed in the industrial sector. Haldia has numerous factories such as South Asian Petrochemicals Ltd, Exide, Indian Oil Corporation Limited, Tata Chemicals, India Power Corporation Ltd., Haldia Petrochemicals, Mitsubishi Chemical Corporations, Hindustan Lever, etc. in addition to several light industries. Apart from being well connected to the rest of the country via railway and road, Haldia is also connected via waterway. The National Waterway 1 is a 1620 km long inland waterway. It connects Haldia to Allahabad and runs across the Ganges, the Bhagirathi river and the Hooghly river systems. Haldia has a mini Japanese township called Sataku. A Japanese community lives in the area, whose residents work as engineers and top executives in the Mitsubishi Chemical Corporations purified terephthalic acid plant in Haldia.
The J&K Bank is a private sector banking and financial services company based in Srinagar, Jammu, and Kashmir. J&K Bank established on October 1, 1938, was the first bank in the country to emerge as a state-owned bank. On 1 October 1938, the Jammu and Kashmir Bank was founded by Maharaja Hari Singh (the Maharaja of Jammu and Kashmir). The eminent investors were invited by the Maharaja to become the founding directors and shareholders of the bank. The most notable investors were Abdul Aziz Mantoo, Pesten jee, Pandit Sriniwas Magotra, and the Bhagat Family, all of whom acquired a significant holding in bank shares. On 4 July 1939, the bank commenced the operations, and it was declared as the first semi-state-owned bank of with participation in capital by State and the public under the control of State Government. The bank had achieved the status of a scheduled bank In the year 1971 and was recognized as an "A" Class bank by the Reserve Bank of India in 1976. The bank had to face severe difficulties during independence time as out of its ten branches two branches of Muzaffarabad, Rawalakot, and Mirpur fell to the other side of the line of control (now Pakistan administered Kashmir) along with cash and other assets. As per the regulations of Indian Companies Act 1956, the bank was declared as a government company following the extension of Central laws to the state of Jammu & Kashmir.