Bhopal, the capital of Madhya Pradesh, is known for its scenic beauty and old historic structures. The city has many natural as well as artificial lakes and is often referred to as the City of Lakes. The city is divided into two - old and new Bhopal. The old city is marked by its marketplaces, mosques and palaces, whereas the new city has modern buildings, broad avenues as well as many verdant parks and gardens. Folklore says that the city was founded by Raja Bhoja of the Paramara dynasty in the 11th century. The modern city of Bhopal was established by a Pashtun soldier in the Mughal army by the name of Dost Mohammad Khan soon after the death of King Aurangzeb. Bhopals delectable cuisine and splendid architecture was a gift from the Muslim rulers. During the British rule, Bhopal became a princely state and was ruled by four Muslim women who are popularly known as the Begums. These Begums gifted the city with its railways, waterworks, the postal system and even a municipality. Hindus and Muslims harmoniously coexist in this city that celebrates Diwali and Eid with equal passion and devotion. Bhopal, in recent times, serves as a trade center of electrical goods, and chemicals, cotton clothes and jewelry. The city also has various institutes of national importance. AIIMS, IISER and ISRO?s Master Control Facility are a few among them. Bhopal is known for its gas tragedy on 3rd December 1984, when methyl isocyanate gas escaped from the Union Carbide Insecticide plant and affected the lives of lakhs of people, killing thousands. It was one of the gravest industrial disasters in the history of mankind.
The J&K Bank is a private sector banking and financial services company based in Srinagar, Jammu, and Kashmir. J&K Bank established on October 1, 1938, was the first bank in the country to emerge as a state-owned bank. On 1 October 1938, the Jammu and Kashmir Bank was founded by Maharaja Hari Singh (the Maharaja of Jammu and Kashmir). The eminent investors were invited by the Maharaja to become the founding directors and shareholders of the bank. The most notable investors were Abdul Aziz Mantoo, Pesten jee, Pandit Sriniwas Magotra, and the Bhagat Family, all of whom acquired a significant holding in bank shares. On 4 July 1939, the bank commenced the operations, and it was declared as the first semi-state-owned bank of with participation in capital by State and the public under the control of State Government. The bank had achieved the status of a scheduled bank In the year 1971 and was recognized as an "A" Class bank by the Reserve Bank of India in 1976. The bank had to face severe difficulties during independence time as out of its ten branches two branches of Muzaffarabad, Rawalakot, and Mirpur fell to the other side of the line of control (now Pakistan administered Kashmir) along with cash and other assets. As per the regulations of Indian Companies Act 1956, the bank was declared as a government company following the extension of Central laws to the state of Jammu & Kashmir.