Begusarai is a town in the Indian state of Bihar. It functions as the administrative headquarters of the Begusarai district which lies on the northern bank of Ganges. It was established and made into a part of the Munger District 1870. The communists have had a strong hold on Begusarai and thus the town was once called the "Leningrad of Bihar." The city is divided into three floodplains called the Ganga Floodplain, the Burhi Gandak Floodplain and the Kareha-Bagmati Floodplain. Agriculture is the pillar of Begusarais economy. The principal cash crops of the area are oilseeds, aniseed, tobacco, jute, potato, red chilies and tomato. Fruits such as Litchi, Mango, Guava and Banana are also cultivated in the area. Recently basil leaves and pearl farming has attracted local farmers. The Barauni refinery contributes considerably to the state exchequer yearly. The city has around 2.5 lakh residents who are mostly employed in the agricultural sector.
The J&K Bank is a private sector banking and financial services company based in Srinagar, Jammu, and Kashmir. J&K Bank established on October 1, 1938, was the first bank in the country to emerge as a state-owned bank. On 1 October 1938, the Jammu and Kashmir Bank was founded by Maharaja Hari Singh (the Maharaja of Jammu and Kashmir). The eminent investors were invited by the Maharaja to become the founding directors and shareholders of the bank. The most notable investors were Abdul Aziz Mantoo, Pesten jee, Pandit Sriniwas Magotra, and the Bhagat Family, all of whom acquired a significant holding in bank shares. On 4 July 1939, the bank commenced the operations, and it was declared as the first semi-state-owned bank of with participation in capital by State and the public under the control of State Government. The bank had achieved the status of a scheduled bank In the year 1971 and was recognized as an "A" Class bank by the Reserve Bank of India in 1976. The bank had to face severe difficulties during independence time as out of its ten branches two branches of Muzaffarabad, Rawalakot, and Mirpur fell to the other side of the line of control (now Pakistan administered Kashmir) along with cash and other assets. As per the regulations of Indian Companies Act 1956, the bank was declared as a government company following the extension of Central laws to the state of Jammu & Kashmir.