Baharampur is located in the Murshidabad district of the Indian state of West Bengal. About 200 kilometers away from the state capital of Kolkata, Baharampur functions as the administrative headquarters of the district. Berhampore was captured by the British East India Company, soon after the Battle of Plassey in 1757, and it continued to be a British cantonment till 1870. Initially, most of the residents of Baharampur were government employees besides a few employed in agriculture and silk traders. Gradually, the importance of Baharampur increased and now it has become a business hub. Tourism contributes to the citys economy due to its historical importance. The major industries in this city are rice and oil-seed milling. Many home-crafts such as silk weaving, ivory carving and precious metal works are important industries in this city. The Murshidabad tassar silk of Baharampur is famous in Bengal. Khagra, a neighborhood in Bahrampur is notable for its manufacture of bell-metal, brass utensils, ivory crafts and wood carvings. There are many shopping destinations in this city which has developed enough to provide its 3 lakh residents with all modern amenities. The city is famous for the sweets manohara and chhanabora, the savory snacks called khaja. The places worth visiting in Baharampur are Nashipur Palace, Hajarduari palace, Kathgola Palace, Jafarganj Cemetery, etc.
The J&K Bank is a private sector banking and financial services company based in Srinagar, Jammu, and Kashmir. J&K Bank established on October 1, 1938, was the first bank in the country to emerge as a state-owned bank. On 1 October 1938, the Jammu and Kashmir Bank was founded by Maharaja Hari Singh (the Maharaja of Jammu and Kashmir). The eminent investors were invited by the Maharaja to become the founding directors and shareholders of the bank. The most notable investors were Abdul Aziz Mantoo, Pesten jee, Pandit Sriniwas Magotra, and the Bhagat Family, all of whom acquired a significant holding in bank shares. On 4 July 1939, the bank commenced the operations, and it was declared as the first semi-state-owned bank of with participation in capital by State and the public under the control of State Government. The bank had achieved the status of a scheduled bank In the year 1971 and was recognized as an "A" Class bank by the Reserve Bank of India in 1976. The bank had to face severe difficulties during independence time as out of its ten branches two branches of Muzaffarabad, Rawalakot, and Mirpur fell to the other side of the line of control (now Pakistan administered Kashmir) along with cash and other assets. As per the regulations of Indian Companies Act 1956, the bank was declared as a government company following the extension of Central laws to the state of Jammu & Kashmir.