Alappuzha, popularly known as Alleppey, located in Kerala, functions as the administrative headquarters of the Alappuzha District. This city and a municipality in Kerala has an urban population of nearly two lakh people, having highest literacy rate in the state. The Centre for Science and Environment rated Alleppey as the cleanest town in India in 2016, followed by Mysuru and Panaji. This city is the oldest planned city in this area. The lighthouse on the coast of Alappuzha is the first of its kind on the Laccadive Sea coast. The town of Alappuzha is known for its picturesque canals, backwaters, beaches, and lagoons. Lord Curzon had described this city as the "Venice of the East." Malayalam is the most commonly used language in Alappuzha. Alleppey is a place of great tourist attraction in India. The Backwaters of Alleppey are the most popular tourist destination in Kerala. The cruise and houseboats in these backwaters are highly popular. Other attractions in the area are Alappuzha Beach, Pathiramanal, Ambalappuzha Sri Krishna Temple, Arthunkal, Mannarasala Temple, St. Andrews Basilica, Krishnapuram Palace, Haripad Sree Subrahmanya Swamy temple, Chettikulangara Devi Temple, Thakazhy Sree Dharma Sastha Temple, Padanilam Parabrahma Temple, Edathua Church, Mullakkal Temple, Alappuzha CSI Christ Church and Champakulam Valia Palli. The economy of this town is fuelled by tourism followed by agriculture and marine products. Although the district is industrially backward, a few traditional industries such as coir and coir products, handlooms, handicrafts, marine products and toddy tapping are quite popular in Alappuzha for a long time.
The J&K Bank is a private sector banking and financial services company based in Srinagar, Jammu, and Kashmir. J&K Bank established on October 1, 1938, was the first bank in the country to emerge as a state-owned bank. On 1 October 1938, the Jammu and Kashmir Bank was founded by Maharaja Hari Singh (the Maharaja of Jammu and Kashmir). The eminent investors were invited by the Maharaja to become the founding directors and shareholders of the bank. The most notable investors were Abdul Aziz Mantoo, Pesten jee, Pandit Sriniwas Magotra, and the Bhagat Family, all of whom acquired a significant holding in bank shares. On 4 July 1939, the bank commenced the operations, and it was declared as the first semi-state-owned bank of with participation in capital by State and the public under the control of State Government. The bank had achieved the status of a scheduled bank In the year 1971 and was recognized as an "A" Class bank by the Reserve Bank of India in 1976. The bank had to face severe difficulties during independence time as out of its ten branches two branches of Muzaffarabad, Rawalakot, and Mirpur fell to the other side of the line of control (now Pakistan administered Kashmir) along with cash and other assets. As per the regulations of Indian Companies Act 1956, the bank was declared as a government company following the extension of Central laws to the state of Jammu & Kashmir.